Saturday, July 4, 2015

Presentations and Classroom Visits

Thursday, July 2

    Today, I finished my presentation to two other classes and they went well, the kids absolutely loved learning the Bachata!!




After that we had the chance to visit an Elementary Public School.  In fact, it was called a Sped school, or special school that has both students who are gifted (advanced), and students with autism.  I thought that was neat, I don't think we have anything like that in the United States.  The thought behind that is the gifted learners could support the students with special needs.  We also had the opportunity to visit a primary classroom, first and second grades, that was a lot of fun for me!



Practicing the bachata!

What was incredible about the primary classrooms were the class sizes, 45 students!!  I was shocked! I do not believe there should be that many students in a primary room, they can't even move around --and students that age need the movement!  I spoke to the group on the right a little bit, some were very shy, but a few answered my questions.  They all knew their short vowel sounds for the most part, a few were confused by short e and short o, but they got it.  I was also able to steal a moment from the teacher to teach the class a cheer, it was so exhilarating, and they all listened so well!


1st grade classroom, 45 students
I had to squeeze behind this group to get a picture, very crowded, but students still well behaved!

It was wonderful to be able to visit these primary classrooms and it was so nice to see how  well behaved and respectful the little kids are as well!  It is clear to me that students in the Philippines value education and the teachers are highly respected --makes me want to teach in the Philippines!




No comments:

Post a Comment