Friday, June 26, 2015

Leyte National High School


Today was our first visit to Leyte National High School where our host, Obet (short for Norberto) teaches.  I have never been so welcomed with such warmth , kindness, and generosity as I felt today.  It truly was an experience that was unparalleled to anything I have felt before, I was so moved that I found myself in tears. 

The emcees were so eloquent and well versed in their speech, and they even made it funny,  it was like q news report.  There was a beautiful welcome dance to begin the ceremony followed by a performance by the speech choir.  In all of my experience in college and schools I have never encountered a speech choir and it was extraordinary.  I found out later from Obet that he had only given the students some criteria to follow and they had come up with the choreographed performance all on their own and in three days --what talent!  I took a video that I posted below and I plan to share this with my students at home -- I think it would be amazing to get a speech choir going in the U.S.! 





It was during the performance  that I began thinking about how all that work and pride these students put into all that they do and all that they have done to prepare for our arrival when the emotion overcame me.  These kids made beautiful and unique invitations for us and necklaces with our names on them.  These students were all three of Obet's Grade 10 English classes, and they were just so thrilled to meet all of us. They had so much appreciation for our visit to their school.  

Pride is the word that comes to mind when I think about all the students and staff I met today.  The principal and teachers have so much pride in their students and school.  In every conversation I had with staff it was clear that they were so grateful and appreciative of our visit and had the utmost pride for their school.  I felt overcome with gratitude for this incredible experience and the wonderful people I was so fortunate to meet.
Obet was so proud to introduce us to his students and to introduce his students and colleagues to us, we were showered with kindness, smiles, and plenty of food.  We met his English department of 30 teachers who shared the incredible things they are doing with their after school clubs, one being the reading club.  We learned about what the cooperative that works at the school does for it's teachers, it's fascinating.  Finally, we were given a tour of the school and saw the classrooms where the learning takes place.

I am again in utter amazement at how much these students and teachers have accomplished despite the little they have and the horrific experience of super typhoon Yolanda they have survived through.  I am deeply humbled by their perseverance, compassion, and positivity!


No comments:

Post a Comment